Mentorship On Demand (MOD)
What is Mentorship On Demand?
Mentorship On Demand allows occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants to seek mentorship “on demand” (when they need it).
- Access 6 months of mentorship for only $99.00 (plus applicable taxes).
- Utilize resources exclusive to CAOT members to help identify professional goals and prepare for a mentorship relationship.
- Engage in a personalized matching process to be paired with an occupational therapist or occupational therapist assistant based on similar values, interests and professional paths.
- You can start at any time!
What role describes you best?
|You may benefit from mentorship if at least one of the following statements applies to you…||You may be a good mentor if at least one of the following statements applies to you…|
|I am a recent graduate||I am interested in helping less experienced occupational therapists or occupational therapist assistants|
|I am internationally educated and would like assistance navigating the Canadian system||I am interested in gaining leadership skills|
|I am re-entering the workforce|
|I am transitioning into a new role|
|I am working in a remote community|
- Is the program available in English and in French?
Yes! The complimentary resources are available in English and in French. Upon registration, mentors are asked in what language(s) they would be comfortable providing mentorship and mentees are asked in what language(s) they would prefer to receive mentorship. It is therefore possible to be matched with an English-speaking or a French-speaking person, depending on your preference and comfort level.
- What is the cost to participate?
The cost to register for Mentorship On Demand program and to be matched with a mentor is $99 (plus applicable taxes). The mentorship resources are complimentary and exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates.
- I am not a CAOT Member or Associate. Can I still participate in the program?
Mentorship On Demand is exclusive to CAOT Members and Associates therefore you must be a CAOT Member or Associate to access the resources and to participate, either as a mentee or a mentor.
- Mentee registration is available for CAOT Provisional Associates (registered to write the next National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination), for CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant Associates and for CAOT Members. CAOT Individual Associates who are occupational therapist assistants who did not graduate from an accredited OTA/PTA program and who were not previously registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate are invited to contact email@example.com in order to register as a mentee with Mentorship On Demand.
- The mentorship resources are available exclusively to CAOT Student Associates, CAOT Provisional Associates, CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistants, CAOT Individual Associates, CAOT Members and CAOT Retired Members.
The chart below may be helpful for you to identify your membership category eligibility.
|If you are a/an…||You are eligible to become a…|
|Registered occupational therapist in Canada||CAOT Member
(first-year members and new graduates receive a 50% discount on membership fees)
|Occupational therapist assistant from an accredited OTA/PTA program or occupational therapist assistant who was previously registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate||CAOT Occupational Therapist Assistant
|Student of an entry-level occupational therapy program or OTA/PTA program in Canada||CAOT Student Associate|
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who passed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination||
|Occupational therapist living outside of Canada who has not passed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination||CAOT Individual Associate|
|Occupational therapist assistant who did not graduate from an accredited OTA/PTA program and who was not previously registered as a CAOT Support Worker Associate||CAOT Individual Associate|
|Health professional or professional from a different discipline||CAOT Individual Associate|
- What is the cancellation/refund policy for Mentorship On Demand?All cancellation/refund requests must be sent in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org . Cancellation requests received within 48 hours after purchase will be given a 50% refund. No refunds will be granted more than 48 hours after purchase or after CAOT has received the workbook from a mentee.
5. When will I be matched with my mentor?
After registering for the program, you are responsible to send your completed workbook to email@example.com.
Within 10 business days of receiving your completed workbook, CAOT will provide you with a selection of Mentor Profiles, which includes information on the mentor’s area of practice, skills, experience and more.
Review the Mentor Profiles, consider your reflective professional goals, and provide CAOT with your top three choices for mentors.
Within 3 business days of receiving your top three choices for mentors, CAOT will facilitate the matching process, pair you with one of your three mentor choices, and connect you with the mentor via email.
- What happens if I don’t think the mentor is a good match for me?
You and the mentor have 10 business days after this initial contact to notify CAOT if you feel that it is not a good match; in this case, CAOT will select another mentor for you.
- What are some appropriate goals to explore with a mentor?
In preparation for the program, you will complete a workbook, which will guide you through examining your strengths and your areas of professional growth to assist you in identifying your professional goals. The following are some examples of topics that mentees in the previous offerings of the CAOT mentorship program have explored with a mentor:
- Clinical questions and clinical reasoning
- Career advice (job applications, interviews, resumes, work environments, different career paths, private practice)
- Ethical questions
- Occupational therapy services
- Occupational therapy roles, responsibilities and workplace culture
- Occupation-based practice in mental health
- Evidence-based practice
- Resources and assessment tools
- Navigating third party funders in private practice
Please note that Mentorship On Demand is not appropriate as a source for studying resources or advice for the National Occupational Therapy Certification Exam (NOTCE). Please consult the NOTCE Resources on the CAOT website for this information .
Research has shown that a mentor can assist you with:
- Learning – gaining different perspectives on work-related problems, techniques, problem solving
- Psychosocial support
- Role model
- Career planning
- Networking opportunities
- Support / empathy / encouragement / counseling
- Help with subject knowledge, strategies, and resources
- Discussion and sharing ideas, problems, and advice
- Feedback / positive reinforcement / constructive criticism
Eby, L. T., & Lockwood, A. (2005). Protégés’ and mentors’ reactions to participating in formal mentoring programs: A qualitative investigation. Journal of vocational behavior, 67(3), 441-458.
Ehrich, L. C., Hansford, B., & Tennent, L. (2004). Formal mentoring programs in education and other professions: A review of the literature. Educational administration quarterly, 40(4), 518-540.
- What if I already have a mentor/mentee in mind and don’t require the matching service?
- Why am I not receiving CAOT emails?
There may be a few reasons why you are not receiving CAOT emails. Please ensure that your contact information is updated in our database records. You can update your Profile
- by logging into My Account and updating your email address; or
- by contacting CAOT by telephone (1-800-434-2268 ext. 222); or
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Certain email domains, such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. have a blocked address feature. CAOT emails may be blocked by your email provider. To whitelist CAOT email addresses and ensure you receive correspondences to your inbox, follow the steps outlined for whitelisting email addresses from ‘@caot.ca’ . It may also be possible that CAOT emails are automatically filtered by your email provider and sent to your trash folder or to your spam/junk folder prior to being deleted. Please verify the email settings of your account to ensure you receive all correspondences from CAOT.
- How can I get a receipt?
To obtain a receipt, please log into My Account and look in My Event Registrations. You can then print or email the receipt for any of your previous registrations. Should you have any additional questions or experiencing issues obtaining your receipt, please contact us at email@example.com or 1-800-434-2268 ext. 222.