The National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination (NOTCE) format is as follows:
- Paper 1 is held from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m.
- Paper 2 is held from 12:00 p.m. until 2:00 p.m.
- The total exam consists of approximately 40 case studies with 200 related questions.
- The exam questions are selected according to the examination blueprint.
- The exam is in a multiple-choice format.
- Scoring is one (1) mark for a correct answer; zero (0) for incorrect answer.
- The pass mark is aproximately 70% and is based on criterion referencing. The results are not bell curved.
- Exam results are uploaded to your CAOT Profile approximately 6 weeks after the written date.
Exam candidates have three attempts to pass the NOTCE. After three attempts, candidates will no longer be eligible to write the NOTCE.
The exam is offered in either one of Canada's two official languages. Candidates must indicate their choice of either English or French or both languages at the time of registration. Plain language is used to reflect a national audience.
Dates and Deadlines
The exam is held twice a year in the months of July and November.
Please note that in order to maintain fair and consistent practice towards all candidates, registration deadlines are strictly enforced.
|Exam Date||Registration begins:||Registration ends:|
|July 6th, 2019||March 21st, 2019||May 15th, 2019|
|November 16th, 2019||July 21st, 2019||September 30th, 2019|
|July 4th, 2020||March 21st, 2020||May 15th, 2020|
|November 14th, 2020||July 21st, 2020||September 30th, 2020|
Sites are only available in Canada.
Please note that your exam site cannot be changed after the registration deadline has past.Vancouver, BC
Québec City, QC
Saint John, NB
St. John’s, NL
Calgary, AB (November only)
Regina, SK (November only)
Kingston, ON (November only)
$555.00 (Plus applicable provincial taxes*)
Exam fees cover the cost of all aspects of the exam administration. They are subject to change and may increase along with administration costs. Fees cover:
- Exam room rental
- Site coordinator and invigilator fees
- Examination production (including computer storage, selection and printing)
- Marking and reporting results
- National office administration costs (mailing, staff time, printing material)
- Cost of research activities involving the ongoing evaluation of the reliability and validity of the examination
Additional Sites (only available in Canada)
$400.00 (Plus applicable provincial taxes*)
Other exam sites within Canada can be arranged for during the registration process.
- Additional site requests must be submitted on the registration form, with payment, by the appropriate exam registration deadline.
- Additional sites are not guaranteed. A representative from CAOT must be available to proceed with the additional site.
- For additional sites where more than one candidate is registered to write on exam day, the additional site fee will be divided by the number of writers. A refund of the difference owed minus a $35 administration fee will be returned 6-8 weeks after the examination date.
- Please contact the Exam and Accreditation Officer to obtain additional information.
Registration (only available during registration periods)
Next available exam: July 6th, 2019
Registration Period: March 21-May 15th, 2019
To register online, please sign into your CAOT account to avoid duplicate accounts, click here.
To submit a hard copy to email@example.com, click here.
Statement of Candidacy Request Form
If you choose to work as an OT under supervision prior to writing the exam, your provincial regulatory organization may ask for a Statement of Candidacy letter from CAOT. Request one using the Statement of Candidacy Request Form.
Special accommodation requests will be reviewed/accepted subject to the Special Accommodation Policy Document
To apply for special accommodations during the exam, please complete:
Depending on your request, supporting documents can be one of the following:
Form B (completed by a health professional, sent directly to CAOT)
Letter from your university (accessibility department, sent directly to CAOT)
Letter from your religious leader, sent directly to CAOT.
Submit form A and have the supporting documentation sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who withdraw their application will be refunded 50% of the examination fee they have paid if CAOT receives written notification of such withdrawal a minimum of 14 days prior to the exam date. Candidates who have not withdrawn their application in writing at least 14 days prior to the exam date will forfeit the entire exam fee.
Candidates who are unable to write the examination due to circumstances beyond their control may apply for a refund. Such candidates must submit written evidence of the circumstances to CAOT. The amount of any such refund will be at the discretion of the CAOT Executive Director.
Postponement of the exam date
If you are unable to write the examination on your chosen exam date, CAOT will hold your exam fee until the next two subsequent exam dates past your original requested exam date. You must make the request to postpone your exam date in writing at least 14 days prior to your original exam date.