- Canadian citizen or established primary residency in Canada; and
- Have successfully completed the National Occupational Therapy Certification Examination; or *
- Qualified for full registration (without restrictions) from a Canadian occupational therapy regulatory body.
Occupational therapists who were awarded grandfathered membership in 1986 or those meeting the criteria for the exam waiver are also invited to register as individual members.
For individuals who have not met the first criteria above, registration is contingent upon providing CAOT with documentation (within 1 month of online registration) of current or previous registration with a Canadian regulatory body (without restrictions).
Membership is available in the following categories:
Providing direct service, education, consultation, research or administration in any field of health, education, community and/or social service.
|Eligibility||CAOT + CAOT-QC||CAOT-BC|
|First time CAOT members only||Special First Year Rate||$142.50||$180.00|
|Full-Time||Work more than 800 hrs between October 1st and September 30th||$285.00||$360.00|
|Part-Time||Work less than 800 hrs between October 1st and September 30th||$230.00||$289.00|
|Practicing outside Canada||Eligible for individual membership but living outside of Canada||$170.00|
Not working between October 1st and September 30th may register as non-practicing members by selecting from the list of options provided below. Should an individual resume working within the period noted above, it will be necessary for them to upgrade their status from non-practicing to the appropriate category.
** Maternity/Paternity leave
- Full member who will be, or who plans to be on maternity/paternity leave for at least 6 consecutive months of the current membership year. (October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017)
- On a maternity leave at the time of your renewal? If you return to work prior to April 1, 2017, you will be required to upgrade your membership to either Part-Time (working under 800hrs during the membership year) or Full-Time (working over 800hrs during the membership year). If you return to work after April 1, 2017, no upgrade is required.
- Granted by the Board of CAOT at its own discretion
- Hold current membership for 20 or more consecutive years
- Have practised occupational therapy for at least 20 years or more, consecutive or not
- Demonstrate, in the opinion of the Board, an outstanding contribution to the Association or to occupational therapy as a profession
If you would prefer to register or renew for the 2016-2017 membership year using a form, please fill out a registration form or a renewal form. Please email completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 613-523-2552.